1. Religion & Spirituality
Mary Fairchild

Dispelling the Myths of Depression

By October 18, 2006

I just finished a great book for Christians about depression - Seeing in the Dark: Getting the Facts on Depression and Finding Hope Again.

Let's face it, there's a giant stigma attached to depression amidst believers in the body of Christ. Among Christians, there's an even bigger sense of shame associated with taking medication for depression. These disgraces experienced by Christians with depression are dealt with - head on - in Seeing in the Dark, helping to dispel the myths of depression.

Seeing in the Dark is written by two Christian men, Gary Kinnaman and Richard Jacobs, MD. Kinnaman is a senior pastor with first hand knowledge of depression, as he himself suffers from mild chronic depression. Richard Jacobs is a medical doctor whose wife has struggled with bouts of severe depression. Together they present the facts on depression and offer hope-filled, practical and biblical advice to Christians surrounded by misconceptions about depression.

What impressed me most about this book was the balanced approach presented for depression treatment. Medication, professional counseling, psychotherapy, prayer, Christian fellowship, and Bible reading all play a vital role in the treatment of depression. It is a strategic book for dealing with every area of the depressed person's life - the physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual.

I'm not the only one impressed with Seeing in the Dark. The June 12 edition of Publishers Weekly featured a starred review of Seeing in the Dark. I will recommend this book to anyone personally impacted by depression.

Compare Prices

Image Credit © Bethany House Publishers
Comments
October 18, 2006 at 12:17 pm
(1) Jenny says:

Very good article Mary, thank you. Depressive episodes are generally brought on by life stresses and everyone who suffers with Depression has their own triggers. Thanks for posting this Christian view about depression. I hope the stigma of this sometimes debilitating disorder or illness continues to lift as it is brought to light both here and in the media.

October 18, 2006 at 3:03 pm
(2) Mary says:

Jenny –
It’s really a great book. I see now that people with depression are very courageous and fight harder to get through life than most of us. It has changed my perspective.

July 22, 2008 at 10:40 pm
(3) Shay says:

I sometimes suffer from depression and don’t know how to deal with it. I’m not always wanting to go to christian counselor to seek help for fear of being judged. Just as fast as the symptoms appear, God does send someone to help bear the burdens I’ve been trying to carry alone. I just lost my father and that’s been the most difficult thing for me. My dad was my ear when I needed to talk to someone and the one person I never had to worry about judging me. I’m okay now, just learning to take it one day at a time and trust God more.

July 26, 2008 at 1:27 pm
(4) Mary says:

Shay –

I was away on vacation when you posted this.

I will pray for you … Ephesians 1:17-19 (NIV)

“I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength…”

September 26, 2011 at 6:20 am
(5) Karen Gray says:

As a Christian who has had several sever episodes of depression I had read every self help book and received all kinds of prayer going.
I can relate to the sense of shame mentioned.

Then I was introduced to 12 step programs which helop tp change hpw we live think and act one day at a time… it has transform my understandign of God, His grace and my own powerlessness.

I am now walking in the freedom of beign able to accept what I cannot change – including my emotions , changing the things I can – like reaching out for help or admitting my struggles and growing in wisdom in how to tell the difference.

It is a little known tool in depression circles – but it is not just useful for those who suffer from alcoholism or other substance addictions. Those who struggel with our minds can find a new way to live through the 12 steps.

January 11, 2012 at 2:44 am
(6) Pramod Koshy says:

I was in depression for many years and on anxiety drugs. But god brought me out in a marvelous way. How ? By reading the word of god every day.

“If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you.”

Read the bible every day. He gives you strength for the day. You have been saved by the blood of christ. Remember the cross every day and what he has done for you. So what if the whole world is against you, so what if no one loves you, God who made the universe and the heavens LOVES you. NOW do his command LOVE OTHERS. and let the love of God flow through you. AND thats all you will ever need. HIS KINGDOM AND HIS RIGHTOUSNESS.

You were never in this world do your will, but do his word (read the bible every day, its your life)

thank you so much god for your mercy and your love at the CROSS.

Alas! and did my Savior bleed
And did my Sov’reign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For such a worm as I?
Refrain:
At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away,
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!
Thy body slain, sweet Jesus, Thine—
And bathed in its own blood—
While the firm mark of wrath divine,
His soul in anguish stood.
Was it for crimes that I had done
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!
Well might the sun in darkness hide
And shut his glories in,
When Christ, the mighty Maker died,
For man the creature’s sin.
Thus might I hide my blushing face
While His dear cross appears,
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
And melt my eyes to tears.
But drops of grief can ne’er repay
The debt of love I owe: