The participants will each leave behind families and jobs in an effort to get their lives back on track:
- Alex is a 23-year-old Iraq war veteran who lost a leg in combat. Of all the guys, he struggles the most in the isolated silence of the dessert monastery.
- Jon is a 29-year-old paramedic and fireman who has lost his faith to cynicism while dealing with so much suffering on a daily basis.
- Will is a 35-year-old ex-con who lost his gang-member brother in a police shooting. After spending 10 years in prison for cocaine trafficking, he now spends all of his energy working with youth, trying to prevent them from choosing a life of crime.
- Warren is a 23-year-old ex-Satanist, turned devote Episcopalian Christian. After a dramatic calling from God, he now feels led to enter the priesthood.
- Tom is a 46-year-old recovering alcoholic who lost almost everything, including a successful Hollywood career as a comedy writer. He nearly died in drunken car wreck and now feels his only hope is to find healing through a relationship with God.
Are you intrigued? I was. If you've never known what the life of a monk is like, this show will give you an uncommon and unobstructed view of their day to day reality. It will also offer a tender glimpse into their humanity and the motivation behind their devotion to God. You will even visit the home a genuine Benedictine hermit.
The Benedictine tradition has remained unchanged for 1500 years. The Monastery extends a rare invitation to learn first-hand their rules, rituals and routines. Perhaps you too will be changed on the journey?
Image Courtesy © TLC