1. Religion & Spirituality
Mary Fairchild

Poll: Have the Bones of Jesus Been Found?

By February 26, 2007

On Sunday, March 4, 2007, the Discovery Channel will present "The Lost Tomb of Christ," a documentary by director James Cameron claiming that the bones of Jesus Christ were found 27 years ago in a Jerusalem tomb.

Most of the archaeological world challenges the documentary's assertions, labeling them as nonsense, but Discovery Channel knows such ideas make for great television. Though skeptics continue to search for "evidence" to debunk the tenets of the Christian faith, and Hollywood is always right there to support their research, in this case scholars, archaeologists and historians are lined up in favor of the biblical account.

What do you think? Could this really be the tomb of Jesus?

Read More:

Take a Poll:

Could James Cameron's "The Lost Tomb of Christ," Truly Be the Tomb of Jesus?

[View Poll Results]

Comments
February 26, 2007 at 9:43 pm
(1) John Fischer says:

Mary,

This discovery is extremely interesting. It’s almost like The DaVinci Code revisted, but with some real evidence.

I was raised Episcopalian and still have faith but perhaps a more adapted faith. As I grow older it bothers me more to see the suffering and evil in the world and that makes me question the concept of a God.

That being said, however, I do believe that Jesus was a holy man for what he preached and taught. He had a concept for humankind that if we all lived by would make for a better world.

This discovery, if true, would in no way lessen the lessons that Jesus taught us all. It would simply question the concept of his divinity and I’m not sure that is all that important in the grand scheme of things.

February 27, 2007 at 5:37 am
(2) xstitchgrrl says:

I agree with John. Whether Jesus was truly divine or just a great man, the lessons he and his followers taught are still valid and important.

February 27, 2007 at 11:06 am
(3) Mary says:

John –

The only problem with this line of thinking is that Jesus himself claimed to be divine, the Son of God. He said he would die for his followers, his sheep, and he said he would be raised to life again. These claims are referenced in other verses of the Bible, but here are just two: John 10 and Matthew 16:21.

I can think of no better way to respond than with the unforgettable words of C.S. Lewis from his book, Mere Christianity:

“A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic – on the level with a man who says he is a poached egg – or he would be the devil of hell. You must take your choice. Either this was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us.”

February 27, 2007 at 11:19 am
(4) John Fischer says:

Mary,

Well, I understand your point and I certainly will never debate C.S. Lewis, one of my favorite authors. Mere Christianity is an excellent book. I went to an Episcopal school from grades 1-12 and we studied Lewis extensively.

Are you a fan of the Chronicles of Narnia?

I’m not sure what to make of the discoveries from this tomb. They say they did a DNA test on miocondrial DNA which shows that “Jesus” was not related to “Mariamme” and showed that they were not related. I would like to see a DNA test on the DNA remains of the person labeled as the “son of Jesus.”

What makes this discovery really interesting for me is that when the tomb was discovered in 1980, no one associated the name Mariamme with Mary Magdalene. It was not until the Gospel of Thomas was found later that it was shown that Mary Magdalene’s actual name was Mariamme.

I guess St. Thomas Aquinas addressed this type of situation best when he wrote, “To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.”

February 27, 2007 at 11:30 am
(5) John Fischer says:

I just read Jennifer Emick’s blog on this. She also points out that one of the ossuraries was missing from the tomb and that perhaps that was the one produced separately several years ago and named the James Ossuary. That ossuary is claimed to be the one of Jesus’ brother.

Full DNA testing needs to be done on all of these to see what the relationships of these people were. If the DNA testing shows a man named Jesus with mother Mary, father Joseph and brother James and then a son Judah, the odds of this being a coincidence are astronomical. It could shatter the basic tenants of Chistianity. I, therefore, suspect that DNA testing of all of the remants in the ossuaries and the one of James will never be done. There are too many interests who would oppose this, especially the Roman Catholic Church whose influence stretches well beyond their own.

February 27, 2007 at 10:11 pm
(6) dar says:

Well if you find it easier to believe this to be true then I find it hard to believe you can ever be a follower of Yeshua, the Son of the living God. You cannot have it both ways.

February 27, 2007 at 10:15 pm
(7) dar says:

Also are these the same people who found the stone box of James the brother of Jesus to be true?

February 27, 2007 at 11:09 pm
(8) Mary says:

John –

Those are wise words from St. Thomas Aquinas.

Yes, I have become a fan of the Chronicles of Narnia as an adult. I’m not sure why I didn’t discover them as a child.

I am interested to see the documentary on Sunday, if nothing more than for its archaeological merit. I appreciate the interest that these discoveries bring to Christianity, and the conversations they encourage. I am quite certain that nothing I learn from this film, or even from DNA testing, will shatter my faith. It is firm upon the Rock of my salvation.

March 5, 2007 at 4:12 pm
(9) Anda says:

The devil is too busy trying to discredit God. There aren’t any bones of Jesus the Christ he has risen and sits at the right hand of his father in heaven. That old satan is out to take as many of us to hell with him because that is HIS final destination. I pray for all of my sisters and brothers in Christ and for those who sincerely believe this nonsense. My question is, why out of all the so called gods, my Lord and Savior Jesus the Christ is always under attack by this world? If you don’t know the answer seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be opend, ask and you shall receive. These are the words of the love of my live JESUS THE CHRIST…THERE AREN’T ANY BONES HE HAS RISEN!

March 9, 2007 at 5:35 am
(10) Greg says:

Why is it that these recent discoveries, never have findings in other religions? I also find it interesting that these findings in some instances have been found years ago and then all of a sudden they are brought up right before Easter, Christmas or and event when many Christians around the world are getting ready to celebrate.

March 9, 2007 at 7:30 am
(11) Mary says:

Greg –

One writer interestingly noted that Hollywood needs Christianity. Without it they can’t create controversy, which in turn creates $ for Hollywood. Think of all the films and TV specials that come out just before Christmas and Easter, and not just the controversial ones. If Hollywood succeeds in its campaign to destroy the foundations of Christianity (which will never happen) then how will they market their products?

March 10, 2007 at 4:50 pm
(12) Brian says:

The documentary does sound interesting, and yes it is very suspicious that these alleged findings have been “known” for twenty some-odd years. However, Even though the odds of finding all of those named persons entombed coincidentally together are astronomical, it doesn’t neccessarily mean, or prove conclusively, that it is the tomb of Jesus and his family. Jesus had enemies then just as he does today. It could very well have been an elaborate hoax perpetrated by Pilate or the Pharisees to help convince the masses that Christ was a fraud or a fake. It could be even something worse… an elaborate hoax perpetrated in more recent times.

I like that quote from CS Lewis! I think it’s very appropriate when deciphering all of this alleged evidence. I would go further in saying this… If Christ is who he says he is, then it would stand to reason that he does have enemies. These enemies are, and could be, cunning enough to pull off anything to damage him and his work. Much like the war in politics these days, anyone can wag the dog and sway the views and opinions of the masses. Just because it’s on discovery channel it doesn’t mean that’s absolutely factual or conclusive.

February 2, 2009 at 5:05 pm
(13) jose says:

if jesus was real wount god take jesus to heaven and not stay in the earth

April 2, 2009 at 6:58 am
(14) Judy says:

THIS IS MADNESS. I BELIEVE THAT JESUS CHRIST WAS RAISED FROM THE DEAD. IN ANY CASE IF THERE IS AN ARGUMENT, WHO CAN SAY FOR SURE WHAT IS TRUE AND WHAT IS NOT BECAUSE NO ONE IS ALIVE AT PRESENT WHO LIVED IN THAT TIME. THEREFORE THIS IS PURELY FAITH OF EACH INDIVIDUAL. PEOPLE TEND TO USE RELIGION JUST TO “SELL” THINGS.

August 29, 2010 at 10:53 pm
(15) Alnitak says:

No. I am neither a Christian, or non-Christian. I am neutral. However, I do have a video in my possession of a very revealing video behind this conspiracy. I keep my form out of most conflicts in history as much as possible, but this is where I am meant to make a stand. The video is called,

“The Prophecy Club – The Light Behind Masonry”

It is hard to get off the torrent sites, but DO IT. You will be very shocked.

It is an ex 33rd degree Freemason covering EVERYTHING the order is hiding. This is their primary secret that they’ve been waiting to pull out of the ‘bag’ for many years. This is not a find, it’s a set up to promote Judaism, Islam and all the Mystery School Pagan Idol Worship.

Yaw-weh, Baal of the Canaanites, and finally Osiris (On).
You end up with Jahbalon. The Master Mason password.
A trash compactor of religious names.

I’m not a conspiracy buff, but a rogue history scholar that has been watching this all seeing order for a very long time that goes all the way back to Nimrod Babylon. The Masonic true origin.

I highly recommend you find the video, it has some religious overtones and preaching, but the information this man is presenting is very damning.

“The Prophecy Club – The Light Behind Masonry”
&
“Exposing the Illuminati from within”

The Bones of Jesus he talks about flat out and them going to reveal them to the world to undermine the Christian Faith, and to promote their Solar Phallic Cult.

That is what Freemasonry is after all. The Square? A 90 degree erect penis, The compass? The Vagina with Clitoris. The G? Generativity / Reproduction. Put male and females together? You get a baby. Talk about penis envy, I’m sorry.

That is the TRUE meaning of those symbols.

There are two forms of Mason. Blue Lodge Speculative and full blow Operative Mason.

Speculatives are the one’s interested in Esoterica, Sacred Geometry and other Mystery Traditions. These people were allowed into the Stone Guild ‘after’ the Cathedral building business went out. The order needed to sustain itself so it allowed ‘speculative’ masons in to study ‘books’.

However, the Operatives who run the show are the Secret Society within their organization. They collect money from the operatives to further the agenda laid in stone thousands of years ago. They are sworn into that deep oath to continue the work of the agenda you have in front of you.

Nothing more then a manipulative and dark art of destroying a religion to put yours in power. Just how they lost Atlantis to being with. Their pride.

The Operative Masons grease the gears of society to further this agenda and their One World Religion, and so forth.

The video goes into further detail to reveal the Eastern Star actually being in the West because the Magi in Egypt (Kemet) were facing West and Sirius was at it’s highest point. That is the Star the Order is praying too. Sirius. The most cursed star in the Egyptian sky. It is the Star of Set. The Dog Star. As language evolved, Set became Satan to Christians, and inside the Baphomet are the Five Points of Fellowship.

The dog days is a term to explain it. The most blasted and hot time of year when the crops died etc. If you are a Mason reading this, you’ll know exactly what I am talking about with it being in the WEST.

To wrap up the Bones of Jesus. The real plot behind this set up is explained in the video, but I shall cover it here as well.
The British Monarchy will then claim a lineage to these bones with DNA tests. Saying they are the bloodline of Christ. One of the sneakiest scams in History is being attempted in front of your eyes.

Clearly you can see something wrong with the British Family claiming these origins when they act in no way that the subject in question was to of acted. Do they act with Love and Compassion? No. They murder, steal, and lie to the World.

Please check out that video I gave you the info on. It will lift the veil further on this set up.

Sincerely,

Alnitak. (800 light years from you, but typing faster then the speed of light)

August 30, 2010 at 2:31 am
(16) Alnitak says:

P.S,

I forgot to add one more piece of information to those that find me amongst the shadows. Earlier this year on Coast To Coast Radio, a ‘spokesman’ for the Order came on to the show and told the host and listeners that ..( No a I am not trying to fuel the exhausted 2012 theme), but the man came to say to the show and said that humanity will have to make a ‘choice’ then.

A choice like none other. From my detective mind with the data I’ve collected, again, I see a puzzle fitting and the picture is becoming clear for the agenda.

That choice is the Royal Family being ‘proved’, and I say ‘proved’ lightly… that they are the Royal Line of Jesus, and we will chose them when the slam the joker card on the table.

I’m not saying this situation is 100%, but going by Masons I’ve fished information out of for many years, the video exposing the secret of the Bones, and the man on the radio show, pieces are fitting, and as a rogue scholar, my job is to be of service to all of humanity.

I am not asking you to believe me, but to research this yourself and see.

Peace, love and balance to you all forever,

Alnitak
817.43 Light Years isn’t that far away when you have a keyboard.