complaints and questions like these from Christians frequently:I hear
- "Churches today only care about money."
- "There is too much abuse and misuse of church funds. Why should I give?"
- "How do I know the money will go to a good cause?"
"The church's concern is one's income. I have been to several and they always ask about income. I tell them I will give what I can and their response is, 'You have to give at least ten percent of your income.' I understand that the church needs funds to operate, but to tell someone that they need to give ten percent is not right ... In my area alone there are what I call 'Super Dome Churches' where the pastor drives a Bentley and has a home three times the size of mine. Is this what is preached in the Bible? I don't think so!"
Why People Do Not Give More:For the sake of this study, I'd like to focus on the fourth group of people, those who've never looked at what the Bible says about giving:
- Lack of motivation. The church hasn't shown that it will make a difference in the world.
- An inability to see sufficient return on their investment.
- An inability to see that the church needs money to be effective.
- An ignorance as to what the Bible teaches about giving.