1. Religion & Spirituality
Mary Fairchild

Memorial Day: A Story and a Prayer

By May 24, 2012

Memorial Day Prayers
This Memorial Day weekend we remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom and we pray for the men and women who currently stand in the gap for our protection.

Memorial Day Story

I'd like to share an inspirational Memorial Day story, The Boys of Iwo Jima by Michael T. Powers, from his book Heart Touchers - Life-Changing Stories of Faith, Love, and Laughter. It's a powerful reminder of the reason we celebrate Memorial Day. I'm sure Mike would want you to share it with family and friends this weekend.

The Boys of Iwo Jima

Memorial Day Prayer

Dear Heavenly Father,

As we remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for the freedoms we enjoy every day, we think of how they have followed in the footsteps of your son, our Savior, Jesus Christ. Please hold our servicemen and women in your strong arms. Cover them with your sheltering grace and your presence as they stand in the gap for our protection.

We also remember the families of our troops. We ask for your unique blessings to fill their homes, and we pray your peace, provision, and strength will fill their lives.

May the members of our armed forces be supplied with courage to face each day and may they trust in the Lord's mighty power to accomplish each task. Let our military brothers and sisters feel our love and support.

In the name of Jesus. Amen.

Memorial Day Prayers

Image Credit: © Karen Barefoot

Follow Me: Twitter | Facebook | Newsletter
Comments
May 26, 2007 at 10:13 am
(1) Jeff Melbourne says:

Thank you for the beautiful simple prayer for our service men and women. The voluntary sacrifice they make shows incredible courage and vision that makes each day in our country a beautiful day for all of us. Thank you and God Bless You. A debt that cannot be repaid. I have copied and pasted it along with the picture into an e-mail that I have broadcast to our Men’s Ministry and invited them to pray with us in the coming days of rememberance.

May 26, 2007 at 10:52 am
(2) Mary says:

Jeff –

I am blessed and touched by your comment. Yes, our servicemen have given an incredible sacrifice for us and our country. Praying for them and supporting them is the least we can do. Thank you for passing it along!

May 22, 2009 at 9:35 pm
(3) Joy says:

Wow! Reading these posts just puts tears in my eyes. I can’t believe someone is picking apart someone’s prayer. Christian or not, who does that?

Its Memorial Day, remember our vets, pray for their safety and hope for a better tomorrow. I am a proud Army wife whose husband is overseas and serving our wonderful country and just reading these posts make me sick.

May 23, 2009 at 9:23 am
(4) Mary says:

Joy –

I deleted the offending comments.

God bless you and your husband for standing in the gap for me and this country!

October 28, 2011 at 2:09 pm
(5) Sister Maria Lourdes Pilapil, RVM says:

Thank you for the beautiful prayer, Mary. I will use your prayer in my Remembrance Prayer Service for our Agency.
God bless.

Sister Lourdes P, RVM
Catholic Social Services
Edmonton, AB, CA

October 28, 2011 at 4:52 pm
(6) Mary says:

Sister Lourdes –
Thanks and God bless!

April 26, 2012 at 1:25 pm
(7) Mike McCormack says:

Please accept my heartfelt thanks for this inpirational prayer. I am the Veteran’s Committee Chair at our church and finding the appropriate prayers is often difficult. The simple beauty of this prayer is precisely what I’ve been looking for. I plan to incorporate this prayer into our Memorial Day service this year. Thank you and God Bless you!

April 26, 2012 at 4:25 pm
(8) Mary says:

Brother McCormack,

Thanks for serving our Veterans and God bless you, too!