Book of Joshua:
The book of Joshua details how the Israelites conquered Canaan, the Promised Land given to the Jews in God's covenant with Abraham. It's a story of miracles, bloody battles, and dividing the land among the 12 tribes. Characterized as an historical account, the book of Joshua tells how a leader's obedience to God resulted in divine help in the face of overwhelming odds.
Author of the Book of Joshua:
Joshua; Eleazar the high priest and Phinehas, his son; other contemporaries of Joshua.
Approximately 1398 B.C.
Joshua was written to the people of Israel and all future readers of the Bible.
Landscape of the Book of Joshua:
The story opens in Shittim, just north of the Dead Sea and east of the Jordan River. The first great victory was at Jericho. Over seven years, the Israelites captured the entire land of Canaan, from Kadesh-barnea in the south to Mount Hermon in the north.
Themes in the Book of Joshua:
God's love for his chosen people continues in the book of Joshua. In the first five books of the Bible, God brought the Jews out of slavery in Egypt and established his covenant with them. Joshua returns them to their Promised Land, where God helps them conquer it and gives them a home.
Key Characters in the Book of Joshua:
"Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." (NIV)
When the trumpets sounded, the people shouted, and at the sound of the trumpet, when the people gave a loud shout, the wall collapsed; so every man charged straight in, and they took the city. (NIV)
On that day Joshua made a covenant for the people, and there at Shechem he drew up for them decrees and laws. And Joshua recorded these things in the Book of the Law of God. (NIV)
Israel served the Lord throughout the lifetime of Joshua and of the elders who outlived him and who had experienced everything the Lord had done for Israel. (NIV)
Outline of the Book of Joshua:
• Joshua's Assignment - Joshua 1:1-5:15
• Rahab Helps the Spies - Joshua 2:1-24
• The People Cross the Jordan River - Joshua 3:1-4:24
• Circumcision and a Visit by an Angel - Joshua 5:1-15
• Battle of Jericho - Joshua 6:1-27
• Achan's Sin Brings Death - Joshua 7:1-26
• Renewed Israel Defeats Ai - Joshua 8:1-35
• Gibeon's Trick - Joshua 9:1-27
• Defending Gibeon, Defeating Southern Kings - Joshua 10:1-43
• Capturing the North, a List of Kings - Joshua 11:1-12:24
• Dividing the Land - Joshua 13:1-33
• Land West of the Jordan - Joshua 14:1-19:51
• More Allotments, Justice at Last - Joshua 20:1-21:45
• Eastern Tribes Praise God - Joshua 22:1-34
• Joshua Warns the People to Stay Faithful - Joshua 23:1-16
• Covenant at Shechem, Joshua's Death - Joshua 24:1-33