1. Religion & Spirituality
Mary Fairchild

Is Bono of U2 a Christian?

By August 2, 2005

Is Bono, the lead singer of the rock group U2, a Christian? Though he may not fit the typical mold, you can read about how he confesses to being saved by grace - not karma - in this article by World Magazine.
Comments
March 19, 2007 at 4:43 pm
(1) Caroline Debs says:

It is wonderful to hear Bono explain the difference in “karma” and “grace”, and the difference in Christ being “just a prophet” vs being the “Son of God, the Messiah”–and this is very encouraging, as the young people are watching him.

However, I have a question about the fact of his “salty” talk, in the light of James Chapter 3, verse 10 especially (there are plenty of others which refer to the fact that what comes out of one’s mouth reflects what is in one’s heart). I’m hoping so much that Bono will take this question as it is meant–a fair question from one hopeful professing Christian to another–and that he will believe that I have his best in mind, because his witness to this generation will bear much fruit, either for good or ill.

By the way, I love your music, and am excited that you are so wise as to have recognized the light of the world in a generation who denies Him.

June 19, 2011 at 5:38 am
(2) david says:

“Salty” talk…profanity? The problem with what is called “Christian,” today, is the same exact thing that the Messiah, Yeshua, Spoke against…well, as much as the copies of copies of copies of translations retranslated, ect. ad infinitum can really tell us. However . The Spirit and Power of Redemption and reconciliation of ALL people & Creation, is the Love of God as expressed in Love/God Incarnate, i.e., Christ.

October 15, 2011 at 3:14 am
(3) Dwight says:

Check this site out and discover the TRUTH about the band U2!
Click onto the Theater section, then scroll up or down on left side until you come to the video clip of U2. Bono is many miles away from being a John 3:3 servant!!!!!!!!!!!!
2Timothy 2:19

June 11, 2007 at 4:29 pm
(4) Brent says:

I’ve long enjoyed the soulful music and heart wrenching lyrics of U2 but I am forced to ask Bono a question: “Have you still not found what you’re looking for?” Is that a question he is asking? He mentions Christ and his sins and the Cross. Either Christ is what you are looking for or its not. Either you find Him or your don’t. Which is it, Bono? Found or lost?

October 17, 2011 at 7:22 pm
(5) Mike says:

I think Bono was formerly a more or less orthodox Christian but now pertains to a blend of faiths and philosophies as he tries to find his own way. His lyrics reflect that he is trying but has not yet found what he’s looking for

July 13, 2007 at 10:16 pm
(6) Dan says:

Love you all. But you guys are silly. “Salty Talk”?. Honestly. Do your hearts have no nerves? Are you the kind who debate Dostoevsky’s Christianity based upon his adhearance to your favorite criteria? I am Greek Orthodox, as orthodox as they come, but I’m getting fed up with calloused church goer. What somebody’s life transform, in another country who doesn’t know what a demonination is, and stand back and wonder. I’m humbled when I see that happen. I want to see it more often.
Bono is preaching the gospel. Can’t you tell?

July 13, 2007 at 10:19 pm
(7) Dan says:

:) and sorry for the stupid typos. maybe you shoudn’t bother reading it. (I really do know how to spell. haha.)

August 25, 2007 at 5:24 am
(8) Nigel says:

I find it amazing that some people can criticize other believers for their faults cos absolutely none of us is perfect. As far as language is concerned im a Born again Christian & one of my greatest struggles is with my language at times which can be foul!. Is it something i revel in? No it isnt! The apostle Paul in Scripture himself says that he ‘finds himself doing the things he shouldnt do & not doing the things he should do!’ & also that he had a ‘thorn in the side which he wished Christ would remove’.. Noone in this world is perfect & every single professing Christian no matter who they are has a habit or pattern that they would desperately love to be rid off i know i have..
Its a good job that Salvation is by grace alone & not of any good works cos if that was the case then we would all be hellbound!. I would suggest that all of us who profess to be Christians should work on getting our own walk right with God rather than focusing on the faults of others!..

Nigel

July 3, 2011 at 12:58 am
(9) Liv says:

Nigel, that was very well put! Thank heavens we are saved by GRACE and not by works. :)

August 27, 2007 at 7:21 am
(10) lester says:

hey nigel! that was a very nice reply heheh! i got ministered by your comment!
thanks! =)

December 3, 2007 at 12:28 pm
(11) Joel says:

Wow! I’ve seen a lot of people who still want to doubt Bono’s faith because of a salty tongue or his song “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For.”

As far as the salty language… let’s try to remember that Bono is from and resides in Dublin, Ireland. I don’t know how much about Ireland you people know about but having Irish relatives, I can tell you that the Irish people don’t put the same taboos on profanity that we do. They use it on commercial television and without reservation. I’m not excusing it inasmuch as I am stating that the attitude towards profanity is not quite what it is in America. Bono most likely grew up hearing such language from his family, friends and neighbors.

Secondly, “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Lookng For” does not denounce Bono’s faith or belief in God… it simply (and quite beautifully) displays his struggles within his faith. I don’t think anyone can honestly state that they have not struggled in their faith throughout the hardships of their life. Then again, what is faith without doubt but blind devotion? Does God want His children to be honest with Him even if it means we are coming to him with our shoulders shrugged in disbelief? I would think He would want this rather than emply praises from sycophantic fanatics.

We are so quick to judge when a celebrity or worse… a rock star… discusses his faith. Rather than looking for loopholes to disprove this, we should realize we are all lucky our every word and thought is not recorded like Bono’s are. Otherwise, who would doubt our faith?

May 27, 2008 at 1:06 pm
(12) Shannin says:

I saw U2 featured on “They sold their souls for rock n roll” by fight the good fight and I think they owe Bono an apology. Only God can read the hearts of men, but I’m sure to meet Bono in heaven one day and U2 is still my favorite band of ALL TIME! Saved by grace, right on, VERY good news for us all…

July 7, 2008 at 4:51 pm
(13) Pam says:

Pretty cool. This may be the only way some will ever hear the message of Jesus, like the interviewer.

January 20, 2009 at 12:51 am
(14) Nikki says:

Well, I am positive that Bono is a Christian. I am a huge fan of their and a Christian myself. But, I felt the need to explain something to Brent. Their song, I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, is about a search for God, or more specifically a pursuing of God. This is a very spiritual and philosophical song taken in the correct context. As Christians, we should be always pursuing our Lord. If we aren’t looking, we have lost sight of Him.

March 18, 2009 at 2:17 pm
(15) Alex says:

The song ” I still haven’t found what I’m looking for” really makes you think, and I think that’s Bono wanted. The thing is, we can never stop searching, we will never be done searching, there is never a point in anyone’s life when they can say “I know everything about God”. Bono blatantly states that he believes in what Christ has done for him, he has spoke in the tongues of angels, he has done so many acts of faith, but we will never have done it all, we need to keep running, keep searching, keep looking, because God gave us one life, one love, one life you got to do what you should, one life with each other, sisters, brothers, one.

March 22, 2009 at 3:27 am
(16) Jadyn says:

Bono is a catholic or a christian. Their is a difference catholics are a bit more nominal than christians. But that is not the case a the moment. WWJD. That is the case.

Jesus wouldn’t call Chris Martin a wanker. I think he needs a reality check.

U2 has great music but they can not be lukewarm otherwise God will spit them out of his mouth.

March 25, 2009 at 2:15 pm
(17) Rod says:

If he truly accepted Christ,he should now take up his cross and follow him.You cant serve GOD and mammon both.Do away with the old things such as wordly music and use your
talent for Gods praises.If song lyrics are contrary to Gods word and his purpose,then
they should be done away with

March 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm
(18) Nick says:

Ha, Rod, you obviously haven’t listened to u2′s music, have you? If you look closely at a LOT of their songs, you can see the biblical overtones including Beautiful Day as well as Vertigo. For example, in Beautiful day there are references to “sad” situations that turn out for good. In the third and fourth lines, it describes when there was no room for Baby Jesus. Later in the song, he tells of Noah’s Flood. They don’t need to put your so called “worldly music” away because it might not be so worldly after all. Not all Christian singers are going to be Chris Tomlin–they can minister in other ways.

April 16, 2009 at 11:49 am
(19) Cornelia Christensen says:

I salute and applaud Bono for the way he has not only survived, but touched the world and continues to do so while living his Christian life right at the gates of Hell. His brutally honesty about his walk as a christian, touches the lives of those who are tired of a form of christianity that claims once saved all is rosey. His compassion for the poor, the downtrodden, the brokenhearted is something each christian should strive for.
Bono is very much serving God in the arena of public life and rock music. Worhsip is not confined to worship services and prayer meetings but should be something which can been seen in each facet of our lives as Christians. Bono is walking the walk and talking the talk, just not in a hyper spiritual christianese. Pray for him instead of condemning him, he is doing the Lords work as best he can, an ambassador/representative for Christ. Lukewarm is not a way I would characterise the way U2 are living.

May 24, 2009 at 5:09 pm
(20) Jeff says:

Neat to see a lot of people not being so judgmental here. Would anyone consider Dog the Bounty Hunter to not be a Christian? Jonny Cash? Is Samson in Heaven, David with his multiple wives? I broke the speed limit the other day (got a ticket too) and therefore broke “the laws of the land” am I not a Christian, all sins are equil you know. I think the best statement Bono made in defense of people questioning his Christianity is this: “That’s between me and God.”

The funniest part of that article was this: Yet many people question whether Bono is “really” a Christian, due to his notoriously bad language, liberal politics, and rock star antics (though he has been faithfully married for 23 years).

So you can’t be Irish (drink a lot and sware), a democrat, and a rock star (I admit I am not a fan of the Mcfisto skit of the ninetys). Jesus said “it is your actions that make you a Christian” right?…wait. Or was it something about grace, I can’t remember.

He has done some foolish things, he curses in a few songs, it’s recorded so that makes it worse. Not excusing it, but he is Irish, and we are Americans. A cultural difference there. But on the other hand he as done a lot more to get the gospel out there than I have. Almost every song on October is a praise song, Then there are Christian tones in Droning man and 40 on War, Wire and Pride on Unforgettable fire, Streets and Still haven’t found on Joshua Tree, Until the end of the world on Auctune Baby, Lol, then we get a little off for 2 albums, have to admit that. But we are back for the last three especially with No line on the Horizon. How many times have I heard Magnificent in the background while watching the NBA playoffs. Michael W. Smith hasn’t done that, though he will be playing the organ in one of the songs on U2s next album so that makes it all better.

BTW I thought Mother Teresa was nominal too.

July 27, 2009 at 8:33 pm
(21) Wild Bill says:

Well the whole “salty” thing is a bit of an enigma to me. Seems like the Apostle Paul was pretty “salty.” Seems like most of the OT writers were a bit “salty” as well. God knows the heart and pretense in the way we speak has always bothered my within the Church. Seems to me that God is looking for transparency and being real way more than using the “right words.”

Bono, like the the authors of scripture speaks to the REALITY of the human condition. We are all in need and imperfect and the realization of this great need and imperfection is the fundamental starting point. Seems to me that Bono gets that point.

So I say our best works are like tampons (a more accurate translation of Paul) and realizing that is the the start of the journey to making a differance.

August 2, 2009 at 3:27 pm
(22) Tim says:

Wait…what do you have against tampons?

August 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm
(23) Joshua James says:

Secular music is just that! It portrays the world and the things around it! U2, I have followed before most people in the US even heard of them. I became a Christian in 1983. A kid came up to me and told me that they were a Christian Band! I was young in Christ, and thought……OK! I don’t believe that anymore! Yes, they have some good songs and I know all the lyrics to most of them! But what people on here are saying is that just because they have a spiritual sense to them, they are Christians. Why don’t they sing about Jesus! Is not the greatest commandment, Love the Lord your God with all your heart? Google “Wake Up Dead Man”…… And tell me that a Christian would sing this song! Love you all!

August 14, 2009 at 5:30 am
(24) Kent says:

Bono is not only a Christian, he is a great Christian.

September 2, 2009 at 11:55 pm
(25) Jeff says:

Yep “Wake up dead Man” was a song on the Pop album that I did not like either, it has the f-word. Like I said before he is Irish. The song sounds to me like he is crying out to God, and the dead man might be himself. He ends that album with that song and starts the next with “Beautiful Day”

Bono and the Edge, and I think one other Member of U2 was part of a spirit filled Bible study at their school during the writing of the October Album. I’d like to point out that he does mention Jesus in some of his songs. Check the lyrics out on these:

October: Tomorrow …”He’s coming back, He’s coming back, oh believe it…Jesus is coming”
War: Sunday Bloody Sunday … “Claim the victory Jesus won”
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb: Yahweh

Can’t think of others off the top of my head that mention Jesus name, but here are some that are strongly implied, go check these lyrics:
Gloria
Rejoice
Tomorrow
With A Shout
Scarlet
Drowning Man
Pride – not so much though
Wire – Song about how bad Satin is
Where the streets have no name – About heaven , and Bono sings Live from Boston “What can I give back to God for the blessings he has poured out on me”…then talks about salvation, tough to hear over the crowd
I still haven’t found what I am looking for
When love comes to town
Until the end of the world – actually about Judas and Jesus
The wanderer
Beautiful Day
Grace
Vertigo
All because of you
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender

September 17, 2009 at 9:01 am
(26) jim says:

Christian?–Does he reflect the fruits of the Spirit–Please be fruit inspectors people, then you will find the truth about professing Christians. If Bono uses profanity without regret-what fruit is he showing?-

October 11, 2009 at 12:58 am
(27) paul carlander says:

maybe bono should ask… ” are you a christian .”

October 14, 2009 at 4:44 pm
(28) Enrique Gonzalez says:

mmm… Bono may be a Christian, but that’s what I call a “Bubble Christian”, he may know the material, but he does not believe in it, so his does not live real Christian life, people, beware, this is some kind of BAD TESTIMONY he is giving, “Salty Language”???? that’s nonsense, there is not a middle between Heaven and hell, you cannot please satan and God at the same time, then you’ll be warm, not cold or hot, but warm. And “warmness” doesn’t gets Heaven.

One thing I’M NOT CRITICIZING BONO, we all have mistakes, and God took us all from different places, different situations, awful situations, but He is mercyful, lovely, and glorious to take us from there, and put us in the highest of highest!!! Bono is not bad, what he does is bad, that’s my point ^^

And one more thing, for every Christian and not Christian , STOP CRITICIZING AND START PRAYING! criticizing doesn’t help, praying saves.
God bless you all!!!
seeeyaaaaa =D

October 26, 2009 at 9:30 pm
(29) Sunshine says:

I just went to a U2 Concert last week. I wasn’t familiar with their music but my husband wanted to go and I had heard that Bono and the Edge were christians and were excited to see how they would profess their faith. I was a little disappointed. They had 60,000 people doing anything they asked…clapping, sitting, standing, whatever. I don’t quite understand why he didn’t take 5 minutes to introduce his audience to his Savior. I’m pretty sure there were unbelievers in the audience that didn’t know that he professed Christ as his Savior. His songs need to be translated better if he is leaving his testimony to be deciphered through them. I no doubt believe Bono is a good person and does good things. I’m not here to judge his Christianity. I just think Jesus needs to be the celebrity not Bono.

July 10, 2011 at 10:26 pm
(30) In Need of Grace says:

This is the best comment yet… I am not here to judge, but John 3:30… He must increase and I must decrease… Thank you Sunshine!

November 5, 2009 at 5:08 pm
(31) Anonymous says:

I’m not christian, and I’m tired of everyone trying to get me to believe in it.
People can believe in whatever they want, if it makes them happy, then why question it?
I think jesus would want us to live the way it makes us happy, not to live under the rule of religion if that makes you unhappy.

November 7, 2009 at 7:41 am
(32) Mario says:

Hello…
It’s interesting to read everyone’s thoughts. I was just thinking how I feel that

November 11, 2009 at 3:21 am
(33) Ian says:

I grew up just a few miles from Bono and I think everyone here needs to understand why he does not shove his Christianity in the faces of his fans. Growing up in a country where Christians murder other Christians, shoot them, knee cap them, blow their heads off, cut them to pieces, all in the name of their particular Christian sect, that leaves a mark that you cannot forget. Bono understands that the most un Christian thing to do is to force people to hear a message they are not ready to hear or promote one interpretion of scripture over another. Christ never preached a message of division, yet Ireland has been divided and torn apart by religion for centuries.

What I respect about Bono and U2 is that they infuse their beliefs into their music is a subtle way that makes you thing about your life. They are not trying to convert people, they are shouting out praise to their God. The symbols are there in every single song, even Dead Man. The ironic thing is that most Christians completely miss it!

Bono is no saint however, and he has no excuses for the language he chooses to use. I grew up in the same place and era and heard that same language, and I am no longer a religiously active Christian, but I do not use that language.

November 16, 2009 at 7:36 pm
(34) Enrique Gonzalez says:

hi again, I just want to make some points clear, first I’m sorry if my English isn’t that good, I’m not a native speaker, but well. I think some people here are a bit confused about religion and Christianity; you must remember that essential difference between those two words. Religion is like a title, like a doctor, engineer, counter, when you graduate from college or university, and get that title, you are that, no matter if you work on that, or you are retired, or simply don’t want to work, Christianity is different, if you want to be Christian you have to BE Christian because a half Christian is not useful to God, is true, when you accept Jesus Christ in your heart as your one and only Savior, you have salvation on your side, and you are no longer creation, but you are son, and God turns to be more than the strict, powerful, almighty God, but also the tender and lovely Father everyone needs, but still!!! if salvation is on our side, why does satan keeps bothering us?? because we can also get lost, and loose salvation, but salvation is a gift from Jesus Christ to us and we can easily accept it, but you have to love God, and live as if He is your God, because if you don’t love Him, you don’t obey Him, yes is awful.. but He is good and if you ask for forgiveness and believe in His forgiveness, no matter what you have done, He’ll forgive you, when Jesus Christ died on that Cross, He died for more than your actual sins, He died for your past, present and future, and He died also for the killers, thugs, rapists, even for satanists, because THERE IS NO SIN BIGGER THAN HIS LOVE, remember that ^^.

mmm now, about Bono, mmm Sunshine says a good point, the thing is that when you do something you must always ask Him first if God likes that, and always try to live every day of your life for His Glory, I’m not judging but I believe that Bono instead of talking about Him, he makes himself more famous, and the Word says that what you talk is what is in your heart, and if you talk so much abouts yourself, is because you are first in your life, while God must be the one having that place, but the problem is that Bono is doing something really dangerous :S, he is giving a bad testimony.. and he talks about it like if its ok, it is dangerous because if people start getting away from God because they want to be like him, he will get punish :S that is what the word says, it says that their blood will ask for revenge, and revenge will be taken from the hands that were guilty of that, yeah maybe is not exactly like that, but that’s the way it says in Spanish and I’m not sure how to say it in English.

well everyone, it was a pleasure to talk about this ^^. God bless you all!! =D
seeeyaaaaa!!!

December 6, 2009 at 11:34 pm
(35) Travis says:

Everyone I believe Bono is an extremely strong Christian. He speaks at world vision. U2 reminds me of switchfoot. There lyrics
Are extremely challenging but they use clean language.

December 13, 2009 at 1:45 am
(36) Jon says:

The man has stated in unmistakable terms that Christ is God and the Savior of the world by bearing all sin on the cross. That he swears means nothing to me. That he says in a poem, song, whatever that he has still not found what he is looking for merely means (IMO) the more perfect walk of faith. Don’t all believers strive more and more for patience and Christ likeness?

January 3, 2010 at 9:12 pm
(37) Remy says:

Bono can say whatever he likes, but the ‘proof is in the pudding’ as they say. Especially for someone who has had a long walk with Jesus. Sure, as a Christian you sin…but it isn’t a way of life. I would suspect ANYONE who claims a relationship with Christ who curses often/daily, and sees nothing wrong in it. I guess that is the key…don’t excuse your sin. Acknowledge it and let others know it is a failure/a BREAK with your FAITH when you commit those sins. Don’t act like they are acceptable! “Salty” language=SIN!! Call a spade a spade. You have to be HONEST. My problem with BONO is he isn’t a “new” Christian, he excuses his foul language by invoking “culture” and continues to be foul-mouthed. We aren’t talking an ‘occassional’ slip…it is a WAY OF SPEAKING for him. How exactly is he different from a non-Christian? We are called to be different/separate from ‘the world’ and Bono, as far as I can see, is just like the world he lives in. Other than his long-term marriage and lack of scandal in his life. This same description could be about a million Muslims, not just a so-called Christian! If there were a trial, and he was accused of being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict him? I haven’t seen much! Does he inspire me to pursue my relationship with Christ? No. What exactly is it about him that makes anyone think he is a Christian? Oh, I know, he says he is. I don’t know his heart, but I see his actions, and his actions don’t say much about his love for Christ. I see him as lukewarm…he has been given much, and to those whom much has been given so much shall be demanded.

January 19, 2010 at 8:42 am
(38) Ne says:

Only God can say who is a true Christian. It is not your place to judge that. You are not the Judge. So how can you judge that? As for Bono using bad language… you are perfect? You do absolutely nothing wrong? You have no sin? I think some of you need to read John 8 and Mathew 7.

February 1, 2010 at 2:59 pm
(39) Stutz says:

In that World Magazine article, Bono sets up some obviously false dichotomies. Either Karma, or Grace? How about neither? How about this is the one life you have, you’re extraordinarily lucky to have it, and you should live it the best you can?

Either Christ was who he said he was, or a nutjob? Again, how about neither? You could say the same about Hercules, or Buddha, or Muhammad, or Joseph Smith couldn’t you? Unless you’re actually going to claim that Muhammad, a man who absolutely changed the fate of the world and is still the most important figure in a large portion of it, to billions of people, was just a nutjob, but that Christ was not, then you have to admit that humanity can make some spectacular, but in some ways understandable, mistakes regarding its perception of historical figures. The reality is that certain individuals get venerated and idealized and mythologized because of what they (may have) stood for and because people desperately want to believe that somebody has all the answers. Once that ball gets rolling downhill and picks up some real momentum, anyone who gets in its way is an infidel, and a religion is born.

Maybe those hollow arguments are convincing to Bono and surprising to a narrow-minded “rock journalist”, but he’ll have to do better to convince anyone with critical thinking skills and a healthy bit of skepticism.

March 6, 2010 at 12:39 am
(40) Greg says:

as CS Lewis says, “it is not a question of “listen to that person’s language” the question is, what would that persons language be like if they did NOT know Christ. what counts is a new creation, and that is something only God can see. quite frankly, “christians” who are most preoccupied with appearance are often the very “christians” that have the most to hide. furthermore, these are the very people to whom Jesus says, “woe unto you, you shut heavens doors in men’s faces. you yourselves will not enter, nor will you allow those to enter who are trying…behold, the prostitutes are going in AHEAD OF YOU!”

March 6, 2010 at 12:41 am
(41) Greg says:

by the way, Jesus wasn’t a Christian, and i am certain that He said a few choice words when he cleansed the Temple that are not recorded in scripture. frankly i am convinced that if Christ came today in the same manner in which he came before “christians” would crucify Him all over again…

March 6, 2010 at 12:59 am
(42) Greg says:

also, jadyn, on the “lukewarm” issue, being hot or cold is not a reference to behavior, and legalism NEVER WORKS. the mere appearance of behavior is nothing more than mere humanism. and the christian that depends on not cussing to get them into heaven is no more in line with the truth than the muslim who thinks “submitting enough to allah” will get him a planet full of virgins. if you are honest before God, you would know that you have called people much worse things than “wankers” in your heart, and in God’s eyes that’s as good as doing it.

God is sovereign, and most “christians”in america do not want to admit that. the majority of “christians” in america claim to follow christ but are really following an anti-christ, a modern-post-modern jesus that hates cards, liquor, and cussing. he is not the Christ of scripture.

i state this to say, we did not grow up in a war-torn country, with extreme religious differences. we are not elbow deep in an intense neighborhood (which for a time) a bomb could go off at any minute. a place where families were drug out into the street and gunned down for the “glory of the revolution” a revolution which bono rebukes openly in “Rattle and Hum” so to say that God will spew Bono out of His mouth because he said the word “wanker” is not only preposterous, but un-Christ-like

re-read the gospels, and you will see that every time Jesus tried to go to “church” (temple or synagogue) they tried to kill Him…you are the one who needs a reality check…Jesus wouldn’t last five minutes in your home…WWJD, i agree, i just don’t think you clearly see what he would really do!

March 6, 2010 at 1:17 am
(43) Scott says:

Jim….i don’t see, “no bad language according to 21st century western-american standards” in Galatians 5, and i am certain you will jump on the self-control, bandwagon and say “he should control his tongue”
but i would reply, “control his tongue by whose standards, your cultural 21st century american standards, or God’s standards” anyone who has studied hebrew and greek knows full-well that scripture is riddled with salty talk, which also has been censored by modern translators

furthermore, you don’t know what his struggles are, he may be using a lot of self control, in God’s eyes, self control that only God can see, compared to where he used to be before he knew Christ…people on pedestals are very easy to criticize, and the people who criticize them are nothing more than spineless side-liners who lack the courage to ante-up

only in america do we judge smokers for clogging their lungs while we proceed to ignore the fact that we clog our arteries with cholestrerol. but when someone judges the one thing we do wrong its, “but i’m busy, but i don’t have the time, if you’d have had the week that i had this week” all of the sudden WE want grace, all of the sudden WE want mercy.

christians who judge others conveniently point out only those things that they don’t struggle with. how’s your cholesterol jim?

your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost, don’t quench the Holy Ghost now Jim,

do you eat ANY processed foods Jim?

if we look long and hard enough there will always be something He is good at that you STINK at, and vice versa

don’t be so self-centered as to define self control in terms of the two or three things that YOU can control, and magically anyone who struggles with the things you don’t struggle with

certainly, satan can masquerade as an angel of light if it gets him what he wants

May 12, 2010 at 5:30 pm
(44) Enrique Gonzalez says:

Greg, I’m sorry but you have some distortions in your point of view about Christians and Christianity, Bono can be whatever religion he wants, but being a Christian requires more than a tittle or speaking the word of God, Jesus doesn’t see your mouth o hands, He sees the heart.
Luke 6:45 “The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.”

If “spicy” words come out from a man’s mouth, then what is in his heart? That is count as “works” and yes, we are not saves by works but by faith, but a faith with out works is dead, and how do you want to be saved with a “dead faith”????

Ephesians 2:8-9 “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.”
James 2:14-17 “What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.”

Maybe Bono is a Christian but he has things to arrange in his life, and Jesus never stained His clothes with sin, that includes bad language (cursing). Because if He had done that there will be no salvation for us, and everyone here, think thrice before speaking bad about Jesus Christ, God’s only Son who came down here to give us salvation, that may be called blasphemy. don’t think I’m criticizing you, but is my duty to warn other Christians.
God bless you all
Greg, are you a Christian???

June 3, 2010 at 12:41 pm
(45) LotusRapper says:

I think everyone here have expressed valid points. I’ve been a big fan of U2 since the early 80s. Like U2 and Bono, my Christian life has wavered in and out, went through ups and downs, conviction and doubt, turmoil and victory. Like ANY Christian’s journey in life, probably.

What was constant in these invervening 25+ years is that Christ our Saviour was always there with me. Walking alongside me. Carrying me when I could not walk on my own (recall the visual of Footprints in the Sand). And He carried Bono too. And Edge. And Adam Clayton. And LM Jr. And all of you.

Bono and U2 are constantly scrutinized because of their profession and being in the spotlight. If our lives were scrutinized every day in the public in the same manner in all forms of media, what would others read and hear ?

Matthew 7: Judging Others

1. “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. 3. “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4. How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5. You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Thank Him for U2. Pray for U2. Pray for each other.

Blessings,

June 3, 2010 at 4:48 pm
(46) Hyacinth says:

Bono, rock on.
May you be healed from your injury.

June 11, 2010 at 3:32 am
(47) james calvern says:

this is dumb. you all like him cause he wants you to know that he is a right, good, and honest man, and that he just dominated you into thinking that and also to worship him. That is alot of craftiness all spilled into a u2 performance. It’s kinda cool until you see the way it directly applies to your deep need to love that kind of feeling you get when you “receive” his message at 110 decibels! this maybe moving fast for some of you… K
good luck and good night…or good night and good luck whichever you prefer…good night

June 11, 2010 at 10:15 pm
(48) Ethan says:

My father is a rich man
He wears a rich man’s cloak
Gave me the key to his kingdom coming
Gave me a cup of gold
He said: I have many mansions
And there are many rooms to see
But I left by the back door
And I threw away the key
For the first time
For the first time
For the first time, I feel love

June 17, 2010 at 5:56 am
(49) Zack says:

I don’t think you people get it! Bono is a Christian because he has claimed his faith in front of people. Doesn’t it say something about that in the Bible? Yah, I thought so. Bono cusses so he can’t possibly be a Christian? Yah, I’m sure you never do anything wrong either. And what is this junk about works without faith? If the man professed his belief in Christ then he HAS faith, this is not debatable. He has contributed his time, money, and pretty much entire career to helping the poor, trying to find cures for diseases and many other things. So unless you have done those things and can see into his heart, you have no right to attack his integrity or his faith! He has belief and does the deeds and that is more than most of you have done I’ll bet… Bono rocks!

June 21, 2010 at 1:37 pm
(50) John says:

What he says and what he says has great charm, and Bono certainly deserves the admiration of all. But the notion of Christianity as the only true religion is childish. Other religions hold their founders as the incarnation of God, and they have displayed as many or miracles than Christ. It is wonderful to hold your religion and your love of God deep in your heart, but it is wrong to denounce others’ religions.

August 1, 2010 at 6:19 am
(51) William says:

Who are any of you to accuse Bono of not being Christian, of being lukewarm,or not being enough. None of you can judge. Curse words?! lol The fact that they offend you is a form of blasphemy in itself. They offend because it’s tradition, but these words all have roots like all other words. The fact that you find them evil or wrong indicates you think they have a power beyond what normal words have. A power to curse and create evil with a few syllables. I find that belief very wrong because it’s certainly pagenistic in nature and on some small level a belief in witchcraft is required. You find these words to be spells, capable of being evil and destructive. It’s not the tools that are good or evil but what one builds with the tools. Also to truly believe and have Christ in your heart, well it’s pretty much required to denounce other religions because they hinder people from entering the kingdom, but it’s out of love that we do it not a desire to attack and be offensive. It all depends on how you go about it.

August 6, 2010 at 1:29 am
(52) JP says:

Many Christians are taught to judge other Christians sincerity, or even evidence of salvation by “their fruits.” And what is that. Often it means do they make a show of attending Church, going to all the meetings, shouting and singing for all to see and putting their nose up to all those “worldly” people. Funny isn’t it how religion has never really change from the time Jesus visited the earth….who was He most critical of? Religious hypocrates to make a show of how holy they are, praying for all see, giving alms in front of others, etc. Those of us who think we know what makes a “real Christian” – go back 150 years in this country and you probably would have people look at us today – the even most outwardly religious Christians – as material seekers. Somehow people judge others and their piety with such ease. Never changes does it?

August 22, 2010 at 7:23 am
(53) Ian says:

I think some people cant tell the difference between judging and testing spirits if Bono swears in his sons was seen on They sold their souls for rock and roll and has dodgy lyrics in his songs he cannot be a christian because he looks sounds and talks just like the. Jesus changes those call on His name

November 16, 2010 at 5:11 am
(54) Michael says:

Wake up, people, Bono hasn’t been a Christian for a long time, if ever.

On The Joshua Tree, he sang “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” (aka “Jesus isn’t good enough for me”).

In Rattle and Hum, he sang “Helter Skelter” while swinging an upside-down cross.

He has also performed “Sympathy for the Devil” live (“Just call me Lucifer”).

For their Superbowl show, they recreated they “destroyed” the list of 9/11 WTC victims on stage. Bono made a pyramid with his hands-twice. The Edge wore a skull and butterfly (“Project Monarch”) t-shirt.

For Achtung, Baby, Bono sang and performed as “The Fly”, a symbol of satan.

Bono also sang as the effeminate Mephisto, from a movie about man who sold his soul to satan.

He said he wished he had got in touch with his dark side sooner.

He swore in “Wake Up Dead Man” on Pop.

The video for “Yahweh” is full of ecumenical and occult symbols.

On their YouTube concert, he trampled an American flag then the camera panned up to the “Eye of Horus” (satan). Larry Mullen was wearing a scorpion king t-shirt.

This is just a very brief list.

November 29, 2010 at 1:58 pm
(55) Joel says:

@ Jim… are you capable of independent thought or do you just repeat crap from other websites and so-called Christians debunking Bono’s faith?

Also, the video in question was NOT released by U2 officially, it’s a youtube video posted by a fan. Check your resources.

And while your at it, be instrumental yourself in saving a continent from famine before you judge another man’s words and actions. Didn’t Christ speak out against our judging others? Or did you skip Sunday School that day?

February 10, 2011 at 7:33 am
(56) Jeff says:

You guys are still arguing about this?

Bono is a human being.

March 6, 2011 at 9:33 am
(57) Susan says:

Yahweh is the only judge.

March 8, 2011 at 11:33 am
(58) LeeLee says:

Reading things that Bono has said in years of interviews and studying his lyrics with the help of several websites, I can truly say that my own Christian faith was strengthened. He went through a tremendous situation, losing his Grandfather and his mother at the same time, grew up in a tough area of Dublin, and his very sensitive and searching self found the answer in Christ, not religion. This is where people are confused…don’t look at his religion and his outward expression of things that are familiar to you in your own religion, but look at his heart after God. You can see that in his lyrics, in his song choices (last year he sang Amazing Grace and used to end concerts with Psalm 40), and in his interviews. What emerged through studying Bono’s life for me was a call to worship, a call to seek after my Lord and what He was saying to me. , and he has done so much for the poor through various charities. Bono says he tries to shine light and not judge. I think he has accomplished this in his life.

March 23, 2011 at 1:16 am
(59) deliveredinfull says:

some of the comments posted here are ridiculous. You say Bono lost his grandfather and mother and so on, poor Bono, as if he is the only one who ever went through such situations,Bono is a deceiver paving the way for the antichrist religion. Further what does God owe a sinful creature? -absolutely nothing! Maybe we should claim satan as a christian now. Lets get down to the truth and stop using carnal reasoning in determining spiritual truth as revealed by Gods word. Jesus said narrow is the way that leads to life and few find it, also he said not everyone who calls him lord is actually saved despite their religious works (Mathew 7:21) Todays false modern gospel would make anybody a christian.But no one putting a hand to the plough looking back is fit for the kingdom of God , you cannot have one foot in God’s kingdom and one in this world. Bono speaks of grace as though it be a license for sin. And calls Biblical obedience legalism. The bible plainly teaches that the true grace of God of justification by faith will lead the sinner into repentance from sin and God’s people are called to be seperate from this wicked world. If u2 were christians they would preach the cross of Christ without a contradiction like blashemous songs i still havent found what im looking for, or when I look at the world. Unless Bono and his blind to sin bandmates examin their faith in the light of the Bible, repent from their worldliness, profanity, and false christianity then it is absolutely absurd that people ever even consider them christians. When I see bono prancing around the stage like some demoniac it makes me sick. U2 have chosen chosen the worlds fame and this worlds glory over the OFFENSE of the cross.

April 9, 2011 at 4:22 pm
(60) Bryan says:

I have listened to U2 since I was in High School in the mid 80s. I have alwayse enjoyed listening to them and thought Bono was a interesting individual but some what different. My problem with his saying he is a Christian is only one. Before I say that thought I want to clarify something. I am not judging. We are told not to judge but to call those who sin back to God. I know that when we are Saved were are to hear the word, confess Him before men, Repent of our old ways and be Baptized for the remission of sin. Were I have a problem with what a lot of people are say is this, repentence means and about face, a turning from, it does not mean saying I am sorry and going on. If we are truly repentant we are to stop living our old lives and live as Christ did. Christian means Christ like. I have a hard time beliveing that Christ would sing the lyrics to some of the songs that Bono has put out. I know that ultimately it is God who will make the finall decision on if I get to heaven or if Bono gets into heaven. But, I would think that if Bono were truly reading and studing Gods word he would see that these words are not what God would have him say. I will pray for Bono, just as I pray for myself and my family and all people, because God is longsuffering and he does not want anyone to perish but that all would come to Him. We can only do that if we follow His commands.

April 18, 2011 at 1:53 am
(61) Cindi says:

Love u2 and their awesome music. Inspired worship … Magnificent is my favourite song right now.

July 12, 2011 at 12:51 pm
(62) Jenny says:

Please everyone. Bono is very much a typical anti-establishment “I love Jesus, but not religion” kind of Protestant. Most of their songs from the 80′s are about God in some fashion. He really captures the zeal and longing for Our Lord, one of the few good qualities of an evangelical. His focus on the second coming in their earlier albums should be right up the alley of some of your commenters here. But please don’t look for them to be a praise and worship band. You will be disappointed. I value that they refused to be cookie cutter born agains from the beginning. I think getting mixed up in the music industry is going to hurt anyone’s faith walk, however. In the 90′s they definitely went somewhat astray, at least in their image, though the spiritual lyrics are there for anyone looking. He often deals with the struggles of one’s faith and I appreciate his honesty. Most of all, I appreciate their creativity. It’s incredible to find a born again who is willing to think outside the box some. His thoughts on the Psalms are very intelligent. He appreciates the sadness, longing, and even anger of the Psalmist. I suppose some of those verses in the Psalm would scandalize some of the commenters here. How silly! Please, follow Christ, but think for yourselves. I think Bono is very Catholic in some ways, not having a problem with smoking or drinking and so on. Maybe someday he’ll wake up and realize it and give up this silly “Christianity isn’t about a religion” deal, which is just silly since the dictionary definies it as such. We need establishments to help the poor. There’s my two cents. Thanks for everyone’s comments. God bless.

July 15, 2011 at 10:38 pm
(63) Jesus is Magnificent & more says:

we can talk and talk about temporal issues all we want … in the beginning of ones walk as it is in the end/eternity .. its about your own relationship with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit … are you / did you walk in His instructions found in the Word, are you / did you hear what the Spirit has to say to followers of Jesus? In your heart do you KNOW that on JDay you will be told “enter in” or “depart, I never knew you”

And if any of us U2 music fans look to the man, rather it was the Edge (a fantastic gifted gitarist) or Bono (a man with leadership qualities) … rather than to ultimately look at ones personal relation with Jesus, than we shouldnt be on this comment site

Just saying … and may our prayers on the issue outweigh our spoken ideas.

December 13, 2011 at 3:47 pm
(64) Jennifer says:

Many people believe in Jesus, but far fewer people know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, having placed their faith and trust in Him alone for their salvation; The demons believe and they tremble!
Bono only has an “intellectual” belief that Jesus was/is real.
But any true follower of Christ will tell you that “intellectual” belief is not enough to call yourself a Christian, because you will still be living under the wages of sin, which is death.
Do you want to know if YOU truly are a Christian? Then, right now, go to:
It is a very effective way to examine yourself!

December 31, 2011 at 6:06 pm
(65) I J says:

where exactly does Christ say ‘I am God incarnate.’ ?

February 10, 2012 at 6:58 pm
(66) biscuitous says:

Listen to U2 or don’t – it really doesn’t matter that much. If he can write and sing a song that makes someone think about Christ, then more power to him. If he plants a seed that causes just one person to come to Christ then great! Should we worship him? No way – we shouldn’t worship any performer or even a religious leader. we should worship Christ.

There are all kinds of ways to serve and not all of them are about spreading the gospel. I run the lights and media at my church. I am not evangenlizing. I am just doing one little thing. However, I am making it easier for someone else to preach the gospel.

Will someone say that I must not be a Christian because I don’t go around introducing people to Christ? Some will and some won’t. Either way, it doesn’t bother me. I answer to my God.

When I considered myself an aetheist, the last thing I wanted was for someone to preach the good news to me. It totally turned me off. Nothing could push me further away. As a Christian, I try to be respectful of where people are in their search – especially if they are resistant. I just try my best to reflect Christ in the things that I say and do. Do I always do the right thing? No way! Sometimes I do things that are not at all reflective of my savior. I am grateful that His grace is enough.

We all fall short of the glory of God. Every one of us – no matter how hard we try. Just look at some of the preachers in our mega churches. I would bet that there were times that their hearts are in the right place, but their flesh is weak. It happens to everyone.

It is difficult not to judge. We all do it. Don’t get me started on Joel Osteen! I am extremely critical of him. However, I try to remember that I am not his judge. God is. One day, God will judge us all. In the meantime, let’s try to love one another as Christ loves us.

February 14, 2012 at 12:21 am
(67) Randy says:

How can Bono be a Christian? He only blatantly calls out to Christ and His grace, believes in him as his Savior, and professes to others of his faith. Then he puts his faith into action by helping the poor, widowed, and sick. Doesn’t sound like much of a Christian. Those of us who question this man’s faith are dogmatic and narrow-minded Christians that have Americanized short-sided blinders on. I only wish I had the courage and boldness to go on the world’s stage and speak out and live the in the way Bono truly exemplifies his Savior. Do any of you criticizing him hear what you are saying? Why would anybody write the lyrics he writes (he could write anything and make millions) unless he is living in the Spirit? I find it difficult to hear what some on this forum are saying. Remember the plank in our own eyes?

March 10, 2012 at 1:53 am
(68) Suzanne says:

I say look to Dwight’s post and http://www.goodfightministries.com/ for the real low down on rock music. Satan doesn’t want you to but you should resist his lies and see the truth about rock music and any music that does not clearly claim the name of the Lord Jesus. I was in the music industry for over 10 years and can attest to the fact it bears evil fruit. Protect your souls my fellow Christians for Satan is a crafty liar!

April 23, 2012 at 4:03 pm
(69) Septimus says:

You know,the more I read of these comments,the more depressed I am.You guys want to know why more and more people have turned away from the church? Because fewer people can stand the judgemental,Sally Smug version of Christianity that you espouse.
It seems to many of you,unless a person goes to church 40 hours a wk,& prosletizes constantly, they’re not ‘real’ Christians.’In many of your eyes,because Bono sings Rock and Roll,is wealthy & swears-well that does it,he’s in league with the Devil.
Swearing,by & large is a cultural construct that varies per Time & place.The ‘c’ word used to be considered perfectly OK.As many Swearing has a LOT less stigma in Ireland than in the US.
.As Cliff Richard sang,”Why should the Devil Have All the Good Music?”
As for Bono living a ‘sinful’ rock lifestyle,he has been married for over 30 years to his childhood sweetheart As for being a worshipper of Mammon,as he donates millions to the poor.I guess King Solomon should be dismissed too,for being wealthy.LOVE of money is the problem,and I don’t see Bono as guilty of that .
Ireland has been ripped apart by those deciding who isn’t a ‘proper’ Christian.If he takes the less dogmatic route,I can hardly blame him.
Bono claims Jesus as his Lord & Saviour.His ‘madman or Messiah’ argument is not new,and was espoused by C.S Lewis over 50 years ago.He claims you cannot rely on your own works to go to heaven.THAT is the VERY essence of the Christian faith
But no, according to you guys,unless you live a Nancy Nofun life, & bake cookies for the local church fete,& only sing hymns,and say’Gosh Darn”,hell fire awaits.Sigh.
I ‘m so sick of Christians deciding that someone is damned because they deviate a gnat’s breath from YOUR version of Christian lifestyle.Thank goodness Jesus’s criteria is a LOT easier to fulfil than yours.

May 24, 2012 at 1:18 pm
(70) Franko says:

Bono is about as Christian as Barack Huessain Obummer. Its all just lip service. Get real and many wouldn’t consider me a Christian because of my bad language from my upbringing. Bono is a secular humanist and most of them claim to be Christians also.

December 7, 2012 at 4:48 pm
(71) R Dennis says:

Still looking for that list of salty words in the bible …

The tounge is a double edged sword, there is no F word here but far more damaging to use than one of societies supposed “vulgar words”
Words that kill …….. I hate you, your no good, you’ll never amount to anything, your stupid, your ugly …. you get the idea.
Insteaf of debating whether Bono is a christian some of you posters should see which of these salty words describes YOU!!!
love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control
Finally …. you “christians” better remember …. be careful of the measure you choose to judge others, for the same measure will be used to judge you back.
I do not call myself a ‘christian’ because I could never be like Christ, I call myself an “everyday FOLLOWER of Jesus Christ”
I still haven’t found what I’m looking for either, sometimes I don’t even know what it is, other than to be more like him.
Bono has done something many “christians” have not. Jesus said “those who confess me before men, I will confess before my Father”
whens the last time you said in public ….. I BELIEVE IN JESUS!!!

January 5, 2013 at 5:19 pm
(72) S Terrasse says:

I think this is one of the more heartbreaking threads I have ever read. I listened to Bloody Sunday tonight for the first time in a long time and was reminded of the fact that Bono had seemed to express a Christian faith at one time. I then looked and found an interview where he clearly states that he is a ‘Christ follower’.

What a brave man, to live his faith daily (and without preaching!). To hold out his hand to the lost and powerless in society, expecting nothing back, to stay married for 23 years to the same woman and bring up a family.

I was struck by this, and also sickened by those among us who saw fit to poke at the speck in a brother’s eye, judging and (without knowing him) stating that he did not display the ‘fruit’ of the spirit.

Let me tell you that you cannot know if he, or I, or anyone else you might care to mention, but do not know, displays the fruit of the spirit, without a relationship with them. ‘Judge not that you be not judged!’

I once fell far away from God, due in the main to horrible nasty, so called ‘Christian’ truisms like ‘salty tongues’, and other such nonsense. It is so twee and sanitised and Jesus was neither of these things but radical and brave and able to shake things up. I am sure his language was salty when he overturned the tables in the temple! His tone would not have been moderated carefully and pleasant to all!

Please stop your horrid hypocrisy and look in gratitude to our saviour who has called you and me and Bono by name and who is offended by all who judge.

April 17, 2013 at 7:00 am
(73) SkarShip says:

And all of this chatter matters? God has to be smiling at our who’s-in-who’s-out charade.

August 27, 2013 at 3:40 pm
(74) Marian says:

nice post, S Terrasse. I agree. Thank you.