Today is Ash Wednesday
, marking the first day of the season of Lent
for Western Christianity. In Orthodox
churches, Lent (or Great Lent
) begins on Clean Monday (March 18, 2013).
The season of Lent is a time when many Christians prepare for Easter by observing a period of fasting, repentance, moderation and spiritual discipline.
Learn more about Ash Wednesday, Lent, or visit the 2013 Easter Calendar.
Prepare for Easter:
• What do Christians Celebrate on Easter?
• Consider a Spiritual Spring Cleaning this Lent.
• Meditate on these Resurrection Day Bible Verses.
• Read the Resurrection Story.
• Learn more about Orthodox Easter.
Photo: Getty Images